Students get creative with Falcon 50

Evan Kauffman, Reporter

Some people were skeptical about the new “Power Hour” system started this school year, due to the large number of students and need for food, but the skepticism  might be changing.

Many students have found a plethora of fun, creative ways to make Falcon 50 their own.

Aleyah McMillan, senior, tailgated in her truck with her friends during Falcon 50 during the first couple of weeks of school.

“You can listen to music from your car and plenty of friends can join you,” McMillan said.

Now, Mcmillan and her friends find other ways to sit outdoors and enjoy they Falcon 50.

Free seating offers more space than  just the tables in the commons, like in previous years.

Outdoor seating is available to students during Falcon 50, as well as seating in some classrooms, in the commons and in some hallways.

“I like it. It makes me feel more free,” McMillan said, “having open seating lets all of us spread out more all around the school.”

Although sometimes areas of the school are crowded, such as the library and the commons, students find ways to make Falcon 50 fun.

Emma Ashley, senior, usually eats her lunch in the band locker room with her friends.“Sometimes there can be more people [in the band room] than on other days,” Ashley said.

Some students have found their niche. Certain groups typically find dedicated areas in the hallways, while some groups claim a lunch table in the commons.

Angel Cornejo, Spanish teacher, allows students to eat and socialize in his room during Falcon 50.“It’s helpful to give students a choice to use time wisely and get caught up on school work and tests,” Cornejo said.

Although Falcon 50 is split into a lunch session and an office session for teachers, Cornejo is one of many teachers who allow students in their classrooms during either session of Falcon 50.

“They are respectful, so I don’t mind them at all,” Cornejo said. “They pick up after themselves.”

Cornejo still allows students in to his room during test and quiz retakes, but only if they respect those students who are retaking.

This means that Falcon 50 has efficiently become a time for both work as well as a relaxation period.

Falcon 50 is a new system, which means it is still being tested throughout the entire district to determine if it can remain efficent in distributing lunch and if it should remain a part of the schedule.

“The first couple of days there weren’t any kids in the classrooms. Now [the students] are in the library and classrooms working,” Clint Albers, principal, said.

The system has shown several challenges to students; however, as time has progressed, students have found regular hangout spots around the school.

“If [students] want time to unwind,  it’s easy to find a place with friends to unwind,” Albers said. “It gives students a brain break.”

All high schools in the district adopted the policy to keep all high schools on the same schedule.

Each school has reported on how well the system has worked in their school.

“[The other schools] experienced a lot of the same things we have,” Albers said. “Traffic has definitely evened out over these couple of weeks.”