The Eyrie

• March 13The 5268 Biotech Falcons finished in 20th place after the Heartland Regional qualifying rounds March 9-11.

• March 13The girls basketball team took their sub-state and made their 14th appearance at the state tournament.

• March 1390+ orchestra students travelled to Chicago March 12-15; performed at The Field Museum.

• March 13School to get new WiFi over Spring Break. Stay tuned.

Wrestlers show commitment at camps

Tristen Allen, Reporter

A wrestling camp was held at the school over the summer from June 6-8 to help wrestlers develop and improve their wrestling skills.

Troy Nickerson, head wrestling coach at the University of Northern Colorado and 2009 Division I National College Athletic Association (NCAA) champion from Cornell University, came to the camp to help develop the skills of other wrestlers.

About 35 wrestlers attended the camp, according to Conor Fitzgerald, wrestling coach.

The week after the camp at school, 19 wrestlers also attended a team camp that was held in Gunnison, Colo.

The Falcon team of wrestlers finished second out of 40 teams that attended the Gunnison camp.

Fitzgerald met Nickerson “a few months ago” while Nickerson was trying to recruit some of the wrestlers.

Fitzgerald said that Nickerson “was impressed with our kids and coaching staff throughout the week.”

Fitzgerald did expect that all members of the wrestling team from last year attend the camp.

Although attending the camp does not guarantee a spot on the wrestling team, Fitzgerald did say that it “does show [the] coaching staff who is serious about getting better.”

Reflecting back on the camp this past summer, Fitzgerald seemed positive about the upcoming wrestling season.

“Our performance this summer gave me even more confidence that our program has reached a new level,” Fitzgerald said.

Out of the 14 varsity wrestling starters from last year, nine starters are returning this year. Seven of the returning starters were state qualifiers, with three of them winning state medals.

Five of the wrestlers on the Kansas National Team this summer were Falcon wrestlers.

“We finished ninth at the state tournament last year. This year we plan to compete for a state title as a team. Olathe South has never brought home a team trophy from the state tournament – we plan to bring the first,” Fitzgerald said, confident about the upcoming season.

In addition to working with a Division I head coach and former NCAA champion, people that attended the wrestling camp also got a free t-shirt.