The student news site of Olathe South High School

The Eyrie

Staff advises new freshmen

With the 2017-18 school year starting, the staff has some advice for the incoming freshmen.

There are many things you learn by the end of freshman year, that you wish you would have known before.

Some advise not to stress, some to find friends, some to keep up your GPA, but the staff all agrees the most important piece of advice for freshmen it’s that, “For the love of all that is good, do NOT stop in the hallways and the commons during passing periods” because “It is aggravating to no end.”

Many staff members agree that upperclassmen are not a concern, explaining that “the upperclassmen are not as scary as they seem” and “no, they won’t steal your lunch money or give you a wedgie,” but another warns that it “doesn’t matter how nice you are, upperclassmen still hate you.”

The staff agrees that it is important to keep your grades up freshman year and to start planning for college early.

One staff member said, “Study. Even if you’re the type of student who didn’t need to before, you’ll want to get in the habit of doing it before senior year.”

Taking challenging classes and AP courses is always a smart idea.

Overall, the staff advises to “Put yourself out there! Talk to new people, try new things, join a club, take a class you think will be challenging or fun. Don’t be scared to do something new.”