The Eyrie

• March 13The 5268 Biotech Falcons finished in 20th place after the Heartland Regional qualifying rounds March 9-11.

• March 13The girls basketball team took their sub-state and made their 14th appearance at the state tournament.

• March 1390+ orchestra students travelled to Chicago March 12-15; performed at The Field Museum.

• March 13School to get new WiFi over Spring Break. Stay tuned.

News briefs

‘Eclipse’-ing at school—

A “once in a lifetime” event will cross Olathe as a total solar eclipse on Monday, August 21, will be traveling from the West to East Coast. The eclipse will occur in Olathe from 11:40 a.m. through 2:35 p.m. The 99.4 percent totality will occur at 1:08 p.m. The school district, according to Jessica Dain, assistant superintendent, will provide every staff member and student with solar eclipse viewing glasses. Students are advised to wear their protective glasses when viewing the eclipse in order to protect their eyes from harmful rays, which burn retinas. This school will designate 20 minutes after a fire drill that day so students can see the eclipse.

Regiment camp—

The Regiment held their yearly show camp July 31 to Aug. 4 to start putting together this year’s marching show. Falcon Regiment members came to camp at 7 a.m to practice marching fundamentals, visual movements in the show and rehearsing the marching drill. A break was held from 11 a.m to 1 p.m followed by a music rehearsal until 4 p.m. A performance was held on Aug. 4 showing what was achieved that week.

Cheerleading camp—

The cheer team’s skill was recognized at a four-day cheer camp, June 6-9, in Salina, Kan. The camp was attended by cheer teams from throughout Kansas. While there, the cheerleaders excelled by receiving a spirit stick for elite stunts. Additionally, the 11 seniors on the squad also had their moment of fame by all being accepted onto the All-American teams well as being offered a chance to try out to be members of the UCA staff. To prepare for the camp, the cheerleaders attended two-hour practices a couple times a week after school ended.