DECA attends Nationals

Tristan Allen, Reporter

Two DECA students placed well at the DECA international competition April 25-30 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Ryan Hovey, senior, competed in the Retail Merchandising event, placed in Role-play and Test in the Achievement Awards and went on to compete in the final round. Hovey placed top 10 in the nation in the final round at the Grand Award Ceremony. This the highest placement Olathe South has achieved in DECA.

Sydney Rottinghaus, freshman, placed first in role-play and medaled on stage in the Achievement Awards Session. Rottinghaus scored a 99 out of 100 on her event.

In addition to Hovey and Rottinghaus qualifying to attend the competition, Alexi Fisher, freshman, Cameron Clark and Megan Brune, seniors, also qualified to attend the international competition.

Amanda Doane, DECA sponsor, said that “21,000 students were there competing.”

The group stayed in the Courtyard by Marriott and visited several attractions such as Downtown Disney, Huntington Beach and Universal Studios Hollywood.

Students that went on the trip had to pay for airfare and park tickets while the district paid for the group’s registration fees, lodging, and some of the food.

DECA is a group with the mission statement of “preparing emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe.”