Lauri Hoedl accepted into summer dance program

Jillian Walker, Reporter

Dance is the one thing that Lauricella Hoedl, junior, loves the most.

Hoedl has been accepted into the Joffrey Ballet School NYC Jazz Intensive. The program begins on the July 22 and lasts until Aug. 12.

In New York, Hoedl will be instructed in all forms of dance every day as she and other dancers take classes and prepare for a show that will take place on the last day of the program.

Hoedl said that she is excited to work with well-known choreographers such as Kevin “Tokyo” Inouye, who owns his own dance company, and Mia Michaels, who is best known for being a judge on the show “So You Think You Can Dance.”

“Joffrey’s very well-known and it’s always been in the back of my mind,” Hoedl said. “I was looking at different intensives, and I noticed that Joffrey was coming through, so I decided to audition there.”

To audition, Hoedl participated in a two-hour-long class and then auditioned a routine in small groups. She was accepted into nine of their programs, but she chose the one in New York because it’s one of the more advanced programs and the one she feels she will enjoy the most.

The program costs about $2,000, but with Hoedl’s 50 percent scholarship that she received from Joffrey, it will cost about $1,000. Hoedl is hoping to get a second job soon to raise the funds. While in New York, Hoedl will be staying with a couple different family members.

After high school, Hoedl said that she would like to continue dancing in college.