Briefs: DECA, Scholars’ Bowl, Newspaper

DECA

DECA students have placed in the top four at two recent competitions.

At Blue Valley High on Feb. 1, Ryan Hovey, senior, received first in Retail Merchandising; Cameron Clark, senior, first in Marketing Communication; Levi Burkett, senior, second in Restaurant and Food Service Management; Sydney Rottinghaus, freshman, third in Principles of Business Management; Megan Brune,  senior, fourth in Food Marketing; and the team of Morgan Kern, freshman, and Bethlehem Kelecha, freshman, fourth in Business Law and Ethics.

At Shawnee Mission North, Brune took first in Food Marketing; Hovey, first in Retail Merchandising; and the team of Caylor Herndon and Mercedes Mahakittijittichai, seniors, fourth in Buying and Merchandising Team.

Sixteen students will be competing in the DECA State Career Development Conference March 5-7 at the Overland Park Marriott in hopes of qualifying for the national competition.

Scholars’ Bowl

The Scholars’ Bowl team finished in fifth place at regionals on Feb. 2 at Lawrence High School, missing state by one postion.

With one of their players having to leave for band, the team had a large task in front of them.

“The kids were very excited to be there until they lost and missed out on state by one place,” Helen Hardgree, sponsor, said.

The team prepped every Friday with bowl-like simulations and questions. This preparation lead them to make it to regionals, but not any further than that.

Newspaper

Anyone interested in getting their writing published in print and online can apply for the 2017-18 newspaper staff.

Photographers with experience in Basic Digital Photography can apply for next year’s photojournalism staff.  The staff’s photos are published in the newspaper, yearbook and the newspaper’s and school’s websites.

Applications for both staffs are available at Rm. 503.