One to one student technology initiative 2017

Sion Worley, Reporter

The Olathe School District’s Board of Education approved a new initiative for high schools called the “1 to 1 Student Technology Initiative” on January 6. The same idea has already been in place for district middle schools, but high schools are the next in line.

Each high school student will have a district-provided Apple “MacBook Air” laptop for use in and out of school, and classrooms will have “Apple TV” units installed to improve versatility of lesson plans.

A common concern among the high school students and staff is the existing computer infrastructure and current Wi-Fi capabilities in the buildings.    However, the district technology center has decided to upgrade, replace and test the infrastructure significantly before release of the new computers. This includes an upgrade to the fiber-optic networks, replacing hardware and software used for wireless access and adding back-end technologies to provide the required additional support.

“Many of the frustrations that students and staff have with technology is due to aging equipment that will be removed,” Josh Anderson, district head of technology, said.

Two common issues with bringing in student-used technologies are the cost and the possibility of distraction. However, the cost is covered by the 2016 Technology Bond, passed by the community and approved by the school board during the summer of 2016. That means no out-of-pocket costs for the technology, and the bond money can only be used for the new technology and infrastructure upgrades.

“The middle schools have shown [student distraction] is a classroom or class issue, becoming more of a management issue like phones, and [they are] having to monitor internet and individual laptop use,” Clint Albers, principal, said.

Giving each student an individual computer for school work also has a positive effect on existing technology and the future of lesson planning.

“[The technology] will give teachers a new tool for teaching, free up computer lab space, and create easier lesson planning for supplementing and enhancing instruction, creating more versatile lessons and class structure,” Albers said.