Briefs: Robotics, Debate, and Dungeons and Dragons

Robotics 

This year’s Robotics team will be competing at the First Steamworks competition on March 16-18 in Kansas City. Jason Smith, Robotics sponsor, hopes to raise $10,000 and to get sponsored by Anderson Engineers.

The approximately 40 members will build three robots which will complete tasks to get a theoretic steamship into the air, like gathering fuel to build steam and moving gears to the steam ship. The task mimics a video game set in the steampunk era.

If the teams score high enough, they qualify for a national competiton in April.

Debate

Debate season will finish on Jan. 27-28 at the state tournament at Blue Valley Southwest.

“We had a younger group and we were trying to get them a lot of experience, and we had people get medals and do really well at tournaments that hadn’t done that before,” Kristen White, debate sponsor, said.

The six students selected to compete in state had to win at least four of eight tournaments.

The number of students varied in the tournaments but those selected were Madison Runyon, senior;

Carter Jones and Austin Lugenbill, juniors; Micah Leckliter, Ben Heigele, and Owen Scott, sophomores.

Dungeons and Dragons

The D&D, or Dungeons and Dragons, Club will meet Monday, Tuesday and Friday mornings at 7 a.m. in room 1209. Anyone is welcome to join the club, hosted by Alex Warn, science teacher. The club “has been going strong for nearly six years now,” Warn said, and has had “over 100 players” join their mercenary guild, the “Gwinette Reservists,” throughout time.

As students graduate, their characters are retired, and new players “create a character of their own from scratch” when they join the club. They run about “three different campaigns in a semester,” though a player can “jump into any mission or campaign” because of their “mercenary profession.”