Students perform play at festival

Hannah Alleyne

The cast and crew of “Peter and the Starcatcher” waiting for their performance time at the thespian festival in Wichita on January 7th, 2017.

Maddison Bonner, Reporter

Thespians traveled to Wichita for the Kansas Thespians Festival at the Century II Convention and Performing Arts Center on Jan. 5-7.

David Hastings, theater teacher, coordinated the festival for the Kansas Thespians; it featured nearly 200 theater workshops as well as scholarship audition opportunities.

“I have been running the festival for the last four years. This year, nearly 2,000 people came and attended the festival,” Hastings said.

About 31 theater students from the school, many from the cast and crew of “Peter and the Starcatcher,” attended the festival. “Peter” was one of the five shows to be performed at the festival.

After their performance of “Peter,” they had a standing ovation to end the show and evening.

From group acting, one acts, workshops, late night events and many more, the evenings were packed and exciting as everyone worked with peers and new people.

“It was a great experience and I had such an amazing time. I really liked seeing all the plays and musicals because you got to see how other schools do their theater and how they interpreted their show,” Cayla Jones, junior, said.

Along with the widespread activities over the three days, some of the school’s students qualified in several different categories for the International Thespian Festival in June in Nebraska.

Ryan Hovey, senior, qualified for Theater Marketing; Catie Walker and Brittany Taylor, juniors, and Chayston Simmons, sophomore, all qualified in Group Musical Theater.