Volleyball relies on seniors

Hannah Alleyne

Ken Talcott, coach, encouraging the volleyball varsity team members during the game on Oct. 11

Willow Vaughn, Reporter

The volleyball season has come to an end, concluding the senior players’ final year. This year, three varsity players will be graduating: Annika Carlson, Emily Hauser and Madeline Suellentrop.

Kenneth Talcott, coach, said that one of the highlights this season was “the way we played against the best teams in the state” and “winning the Silver Division of the BVN Tournament by defeating Bentonville, Ark.”

Annika Carlson, setter, thought that “playing Olathe Northwest in sub-state and beating East” were some of their noteworthy accomplishments.

One of the challenges they faced was “blending the underclassmen with the senior players” and “figuring out how to play with new girls,” according to Emily Hauser, senior. The fusion of the students from different grades made it hard to be on the same page with each other.

Carlson also stated that they had a “smaller team” in comparison to the teams they played against and didn’t have “as many big players.”

Carlson has been playing since eighth grade and hopes to start for the University of Kansas. She is also in the First Team All Sunflower League. Hauser, libero, has been playing for five years. She is committed to McKendree University and hopes she will be able to contribute to the team.

Talcott said that for next year, the goals for the volleyball team are the same: “win the Sunflower League, return to state tournament, and play the best we can. “