News Briefs

DECA

DECA students recieved top honors in their recent competitions, according to Amanda Doane, sponsor.

They went against all the schools in the Northeastern region, such as Blue Valley and Shawnee Mission. At the last competition, they faced 14 schools.

At the Nov. 1 meet at Blue Valley West, Ryan Hover, senior, got first place in Merchandising; Kate Schmidt, sophomore, got second place in Principles of Marketing; Nichole Alfaro, sophomore, got third in Principles of Hospitality and Tourism.

They also competed at Leavenworth Invitational on Nov. 11, Atchison High School on Oct. 27, and Lansing High School on Oct. 1. The state competition on March 5-7 at Overland Park Marriott will determine who makes it to the national competition in April.

Debate

Kali Ray, junior, and Brooke Audano, sophomore, took first place at Southeast High School on Nov 12 with Anthony Suitt, junior, and Austin Luginbill, junior, in fourth, Ryland Gibbens, freshman, and Tyler Beutte in fifth, and Amelia Darly and Brooklen Boots in sixth.

In the Field Kindley Tournament on Nov 4-5, Ray and Audano won third and Jordan Lewis, senior, and Carter Jones, junior, took fourth.

In the Parsons Tournament, Micah Leckliter, sophomore, and Kaytlin Hill, senior, as well as Madison Runyan and Carter Jones both took 23rd.

Math Team

The Math Team competed at Washburn University’s annual Math Day competition on Nov. 15.

Individual scores were calculated by an hour long exam called the Competitive Math Test, which took place in the morning. The top three individual scorers from the school were Alex Schmidt and Robbie Krzykowski, juniors, and Neil Niere, senior. However, the team did not place in the team scavenger hunt event.