ODAC continues to provide for schools’ sports programs

Ashley Wheeler

Top of the home side of ODAC by the press box.

Sarah Buehler, Assistant Sports Editor

The Olathe District Activity Center (ODAC) was built in 1992 and has become an important part of the Olathe high schools’ sports programs.

ODAC wasn’t built till after Olathe East. Before that time, Olathe South used Olathe North’s football stadium, but once Olathe East was added, the school district felt it was necessary to add ODAC. It was too difficult to schedule the football games of three high schools at one stadium.

Additionally, it provided a location for many other competition fields. Schools could have practice facilities on site, but compete at a different site and not have to maintain bleachers, etc. Every year, many sports are played there, including baseball, softball, football, soccer and track and field.

In 2014, artificial turf was added to the baseball, softball, soccer, and football fields.

Before 2014, all of the other district activity centers had artificial turf except Olathe. There are two baseball fields with a turf infield, 390-foot center field and the stands holds 500 spectators. The two softball fields have a 220-foot outfield and those stands hold 250 spectators. The football field is a turf NAIA, and the stadium holds up to 6,500 spectators; the soccer field has turf NAIA and holds 3,500 spectators.

Track and field features include hurdles, steeple chase, throwing cage and field, long jump, high jump, javelin throw and the stands hold up to 6,500 spectators. Usually, only high school level sports are played there; however, ODAC has hosted a few NAIA (National Association Intercollegiate Athletics) championships.

CBAC (College Boulevard Activity Center) was finished in October of 1997 and has a few additional features compared to ODAC. CBAC has 12 tennis courts and those stands hold up to 2,000 spectators; its softball stands hold 500 spectators compared to ODAC with 250 spectators. There is also one T-ball field with stands that hold 200 spectators.