Koelzer successfully takes home few wins from nationals in Fargo

Jace+Koelzer%2C+junior%2C+at+Junior+Nationals+in+Fargo%2C+ND.+

Jace Koelzer, junior, at Junior Nationals in Fargo, ND.

Aysiah Loving, Reporter

Jace Koelzer, junior, did well wrestling at the Vaughan Cadet and Junior Nationals in Fargo, N.D. in July.

When attending this ASICS sponsored event, a Japanese corporation that designs sporting footwear, Koelzer certainly felt in his element.

“Nationals just looked like home to me. I love the environment, I love the competition and I love the intensity of the whole place,” Koelzer said.

Before nationals, Koelzer felt a bit nervous but, he kept his eyes on the prize and was determined to go for the national title. That attitude is what made him ready to tackle whatever the tournament threw at him.

“I was ready. I knew in the back of my mind I trained longer and harder than anyone else there. I was on a mission to accomplish what I set out for, a national title,” Koelzer said.

And a national title is what he received. He won in the style Greco-Roman and was a national runner-up in the style Freestyle. Although he was grateful to bring home a national title, he was a bit irritated to win only one.

“After the tournament, I would say I felt good, but for sure not satisfied. Winning one title was not what I set out to do, and it just made me hungrier to continue grinding and claim more titles. But after the tournament, I felt extremely thankful,” Koelzer said.

After starting wrestling at such a young age, 4 years old, Koelzer knew that it was his true passion in life. He vaguely remembers his first time beginning the sport. Because his many of his family members participated in the sport, he attended a practice one day and fell in love.

“Honestly the only thing I remember from when I started wrestling was I showed up to practice one day because my dad and family had wrestled and I just really loved it and stuck with it,” Koelzer said.

Over a decade later, Koelzer is still just as in love with wrestling as he was when he was 4.

“What keeps me wrestling is the fact that I’m in love with it. I never stop thinking about it. I love the challenge and I love constantly getting better,” Koelzer said.

Ever since he was young, Koelzer has had the ambition to go far with his wrestling career. He desires to wrestle in college and to later make a career out of it.

“I definitely plan on wrestling after high school. Not only do I want to wrestle in college, but I also want to compete on the international world level and win a world championship, as well as an Olympic gold medal,” Koelzer said.

Due to Koelzer’s amibition and determination, wrestling coach, Connor Fitzgerald, thinks that Koelzer’s success isn’t all because of his physical talent. Fitzgerald believes that Koelzer has the potential to excel due his capability and strong “work ethic.”

“Jace’s overall experience isn’t the only thing that makes him a great wrestler, but it’s his work ethic. He is one of the hardest working students, not just in wrestling but in school as well,” Fitzgerald said.