Going for Pokemon Go: Closer look at latest Nintendo phenomenon

Evan Kauffman and Delaney Garrelts, Reporters

Pokémon Go has only increased in popularity since its release. As it has increased in popularity, an increasing number of updates keep people playing.

The most recent addition is a feature entitled Buddy Pokémon.

This new feature integrates a system that allows trainers to select their favorite Pokémon to be their buddy.

After walking a set distance depending on what Pokémon is selected, candies are gained to help evolve or power up Pokémon.

This new system will hopefully keep players interested throughout the school year when it’s more difficult for players to find times to play.

Some people will feel relief in the fall months because of the dwindling number of Pokémon Go players.

One man, Jeffrey Marder, resident of West Orange, New Jersey, has decided to sue Niantic, the corporation that owns Pokémon Go, because he is sick of children disrupting his daily life and disrupting his property to catch Pokémon.

Disrupting peaceful neighbors isn’t the only downside to playing the game; there are also valid dangers.

Sophie Reed, freshman, shared one example of how the game could be detrimental to peoples lives by pointing out that “the game could get hacked and the Pokéstops can have someone dangerous waiting there.”

Players can be robbed or injured while playing due to not being aware of their surroundings.

So people who play while driving put everyone around them in danger because they are not paying attention to what’s happening.

Even just walking around can present its own dangers if people aren’t aware.

Not everything about Pokémon Go is necessarily dangerous though; there are also definite benefits to playing the game.

The game was designed to get people out of their houses and moving, so people who play are getting more exercise than they are normally used to and seeing more of their surroundings.

“People think you look at your phone the whole time, but all you really need to do is flick your finger every once in a while and look up,” Marcus Highfill, freshman, said.

But people are now getting to enjoy the nature less, as school has started, and responsibilities are beginning to take hold.

“I used to play every day over the summer for about two weeks,” Jacob Frank, senior, said.

When people do get the chance to play, they favor places like parks.

They tend to contain a lot of Pokéstops and Gyms so players can restock on all the essentials they need to win battles.

“Southdowns Park, which is next to Scarborough is the best place to visit because it’s the closest to my house,” Ebenezer Getahun, junior, said.

Pokémon Go has become a new way to relieve stress for many and can even help form new relationships and new bonds.

Even whole families have been brought together by this new phenomenon.

“Our family, whenever we go, we pile the whole car full of people. We go out and get shakes, and we just hang out,” Bailey Dobson, freshman, said.

To keep families such as Dobson’s entertained by the game and interested in keeping the app, Niantic is said to be releasing more new updates to increase the quality of the game.

One new update that is going to be included is going to be the ability to battle people on the streets, not only in gyms.

People have wanted to do this since the start of the game.

Another new feature that has been desperately asked for is being able to trade Pokémon with friends.

Niantic hopes to implement these things soon.

Lastly, a tracking system used to help people find nearby Pokémon, but that system broke and fans of the game are not pleased with the new one.

Another version of the tracking system should be added soon.