ACT presentations prove more useful this year

Jamie Pellikaan, Co-Editor

The ACT.

All students have heard of it, most have been informed about it, and some have taken it.

However, is it necessary for the school to repetitively hold presentations regarding the importance of the test?

According to the school, the answer is yes.

Juniors and seniors trekked to the Auxiliary Gym on Sept. 15 to sit through yet another ACT presentation.

Sophomores and freshmen will have been there this week.

Nevertheless, this presentation was different from the one students were treated to last year.

This years, led by Amy Hastings (Math teacher), emphasized more the importance of the test rather than droning on.

And she didn’t spend 50 minutes discussing the different study techniques and how to improve one’s score, which was a huge improvement on presentation last year.

Seniors were required to attend, and though the information was pertinent to our futures, most of the Senior Class has been told this information plenty of times.

Relevancy is the true fault of the ACT presentations held every year.

Either a student is a freshman who has no idea where he/she wants to go for college let alone the significance of the ACT.

Or, the student is a senior who has heard this information at least 10 times from teachers, parents, and counselors.

Where does the school draw the line?

We could have a system where only sophomores and juniors attend these presentations.

They would have relevant information early and still have plenty of time to get an indication of which skill areas they need to improve upon for a higher score.

However, I will say, the new presentation the school has going is one they should keep for  the long one.

It was presented by a teacher and not a stranger, and actually talked about the monetary benefits of having a high score on the ACT, instead of just briefly mentioning it.

Hastings also discussed the benefits of a positive mind-set, and while other students found that part tedious, I for one found it helpful as a test this important can be nerve wrecking.

The presentations last year were pointless to anyone who took the PSAT, even though these students were still required to attend, even when nothing that was being said pertained to them.

The presentation didn’t fulfill its intended purpose as there were too many people in one place to evaluate the answers to the questions on the practice ACT.

If the school wants to try something like that out again, smaller groups would be a good idea.

There is no denying that learning about the ACT presentation is important, and this year’s really gave students knowledge they needed to know.

But, this information doesn’t need to be delivered to the same people 10 times.