Almost perfect ‘Arsenic’ brings in crowds

Brandon Keeling

Deanna Bowls, David Wernsman, and Veronica Wood, seniors, act out an important scene in the play. The play had a running time of about two hours each performance.

Sion Worley, Reporter

The show, “Arsenic and Old Lace” was performed on April 28-30, with a special student preview on April 27. The show went almost perfectly and brought in crowds.

An estimated 600 people showed up over the four days of performance. The most popular night was Saturday, bringing in most of the attendance total.

There were only two problems during the play’s performance. Candles were having issues being lit one night, and on the last night, the armchair broke, leaving actors to sit on a sofa. Jeremy Riggs, director, felt that the cast handled it quite well.

“The cast was able to work with having to sit on the sofa due to the broken chair. They improvised and used it as a comedy piece, which the audience loved,” Riggs said.

The audience seemed fully focused and intrigued all four nights and often gave their thoughts and compliments on the performance.

“I thought it was cast very well, and each person had their own great dynamic character that made the show special and funny,” an audience member said.

The next show has already been planned: “Peter and the Starcatcher” is currently set for performance in late September, and casting will start in early August, at the beginning of the school year.