Randolph encourages humanitarian work at PCA lecture

Staff, Reporter

Those who attended the PCA guest lecture on Thursday, April 7, heard Dr. Rick Randolph’s message that anyone who wants to go into the medical field should also consider humanitarian work.

Randolph started his career by enlisting in the military first and then after some time he felt he would be more useful in a different field, so he got a medical degree and stayed in the Army for about 26 years.

A retired U.S. Army colonel, he volunteers with Heart to Heart International, a non-profit organization that helps those in need for about 20 years now.

As the chief medical officer for Heart to Heart International, he has acted as a physician at war-torn and hotzone areas.

Randolph went to Nigeria, West Africa, when the Ebola outbreak first started. He went as a volunteer to stay for about six weeks, but he became the man in charge and stayed for about six months.

In 2010, he went to Haiti, to help those affected by the major earthquake that had happened.

The lecture was geared towards students who want to go into the medical field, to help them realize that there are people who need help outside of hospitals and North America.

His main message was that everyone should “help those who need it the most.” Everyone needs help, but Randolph thinks people should try to help those who need it the most first.

When he first told his family that he was going to Nigeria for the Ebola outbreak, the first thing they said was “are you crazy?” The reaction comes back to his message about helping those that need it the most.

He is one of those crazy people who just can’t get enough of helping people. He is an example of a good Samaritan.