Freshman orchestra performs in Branson

Staff, Reporter

The freshman orchestra went to Branson, Mo., on April 15 for an adjudicated performance. They got a 2+ rating.

The group was combined with two classes and performed for three judges at Missouri State University. After the presentation, the judges gave a 20-minute verbal workshop to students.

The purpose of the event was to give students an idea where they stand instead of competition between each other. Six other schools also participated in this event.

Greg Ferguson, orchestra director, thought the trip was “fun and enjoyable” and the “kids did a great job.”

The cost per student to participate was $130, which covered their transportation and tickets to the dinner show at Dolly Parton’s Dixie Stampede.

Brinton Bowles, freshman, thought it was “really really fun,” and he would immediately do it again if given the opportunity. Bowles found the responses to be “appropriate” for how they played, and he felt they “deserved” their ratings. Bowles felt that they improved on “dynamics and intonation.”

Kathy Carter, orchestra director, thought the trip was fun and “met [their] expectations.” Their goal for next year’s freshman orchestra is to perform at a higher level.

Bailey Ballard, freshman, had loads of fun and would immediately do it again if given the opportunity. Ballard thought the judges gave “a fair judgment” and she improved on “intonation.”

Bowles found it “fun to see the horse riders” at Dixie Stampede.

Abigail Herrick, freshman, also found the event to be fun. She thought the responses from judges were “fairly honest” and the event “wasn’t very nerve wrecking.”

Kyle Alcantar, freshman, found the event to be “tons of fun,” and he would definitely do it again. Alcantar felt that they got good responses, and they did better after the responses. Alcantar found the ratings to improve on how they “play and look at music” as a group.