Repertory theatre class performs ‘Comedy of Errors’

Front Row left to right: Matt Minelli and Jacob Johnston, juniors Back Row left to right: David Wernsman, senior, and Cooper Dammrich, junior, all practice for a fight scene during the play.

Kali Ray, Reporter

The Repertory Theatre (Rep.) class is bringing a funny twist to an old classic, “The Comedy of Errors,” written by William Shakespeare, on April 8-9. Students can see the play for only $8 at 7 p.m. in the Black Box.

“The Comedy of Errors” is about two sets of twins separated at birth who are completely unaware of each other’s existence until they meet in Ephesus. One set of twins serves as servants to the other pair, causing even more confusion. One pair lives in Ephesus and the other in the city Syracuse, and each has the same name as their respective twin.

“Mistaken identity is what drives everything forward,” Jeremy Riggs, Rep. Theatre teacher, said. “The show is a farce, so there’s a lot of physical comedy,”

There are challenges for a class to put on a play, as they don’t have the same time opportunities as out-of-school plays. The class had roughly 11 weeks to prepare, and only rehearsed during class.

“We started in January… so we’ve probably rehearsed about 30 hours,” Riggs said.

The show is two hours long, and the longest class period is 90 minutes, meaning they won’t run through the entire show completely until show night.

The students are very excited to share their version of the play despite the difficulties.

“It’s one of the funniest plays I’ve ever read, if not the funniest,” Molly Neyens, senior, said. Neyens plays Adriana, Antipholus of Ephesus’ wife.

“We have a sword fighting scene, and we’re using real swords, and the choreography is really cool,” Neyens said.