Pep assembly on Feb 26 honors winter sports and WPA court

Peyton Mosher

Kevin Velasco and Zoe Matje were crowned winter court king and queen.

Sarah Buehler, Reporter

The pep assembly on Feb. 26 included performances, a basketball game, a special guest and the crowning of the king and queen for winter court.

Rachel Carroll, leader of Falcon Flight Crew, said, “We put a lot of prep time in the assembly. A month out we figure out the different activities, scripts and what we are going to do.”

The assembly started off with a ping-pong game including whipped cream where the students had to find a ping-pong ball with no hands; the Sophomore Class won the first game. The cheerleaders followed up with their Best of the Midwest routine.

Carroll said, “All of the ideas we get for the assembly are collaborative with the students coming up with different ideas and putting it together.”

The winter court was presented, and the king and queen were Kevin Velasco and Zoe Matje, seniors. The court and attendants included Lydia Rhoades and Hayden Hoeven, freshmen; Kiersten Herzog and Kyle Kersten, sophomores; Amanda Fish and Darion Bailey, juniors; Andrea Strickler, Trent Welch, Annabeth Swanson, Brian Sullivan, Kala Holder, Phil Spurling and Camella Carlson, seniors.

Special guest Scott Wilson, father of Noah Wilson, talked about his son and how he wanted to raise awareness for pediatric cancer by collecting cool Band-Aids for the kids in the hospital receiving treatment. The WPA dance and basketball game against Olathe East was sponsored by Noah’s Band-Aid Project, and students were encouraged to bring Band-Aids to the game.

The robotics team then presented the robot they have been working on. Next, a three-point basketball game was played with the juniors and seniors winning.

They finished up the assembly by recognizing winter sports including boys swimming who placed ninth at state, wrestling who went to state the weekend of Feb. 27 and the boys and girls basketball team.