Bubba Gaeddert lectures on presentations

Megan Pham, Reporter

Bubba Gaeddert, an Olathe Chamber of Commerce manager of sports and events, presented the PCA lecture during seminar at the Black Box Theater on Feb. 18.

“When I get to speak in public places, I like to present things that help you learn,” Gaeddert said.

Gaeddert was invited to do a presentation about how to be a better public speaker and have a better presentation.

“I’ve spoken to a couple hundred thousand folks at different venues,” Gaeddert said. Gaeddert’s passion is not only speaking, but doing leadership development and team building.

While lecturing, Gaeddert interacted with the audience, and instead of telling the crowd how to do a good presentation, he taught the audience the worst ways to do one.

Throughout the session, Gaeddert got into character and did a scenario on what a bad presentation would look like.

“Don’t use funny photos, too many fonts,” explained Gaeddert. “The worst thing about a presentation is when you go to a presentation and someone has a light grey font over a white background.”

Gaeddert’s intention was to entertain and inform. He walked around the room, leaving the podium.

In high school, he was in Student Council and presented a lot. He did the announcements, and in college he took Intro to Speech. He then majored in recreational management.

In his job with the Chamber of Commerce, he helps bring people into the community from outside organizations who want to put on sporting events in Olathe.

He also helps sports tournament participants get hotel rooms and field space. One of the events Gaeddert does is the Garmin Marathon in Olathe.

He is also helping economic development by bringing all these people into the community.