Putting a little magic into the holidays

Annabeth Swanson, senior, as Emily, and Ryan Hovey, junior, as Scrooge at 18 in the Holiday Magic performance.

Delaney Garrelts, Reporter

‘Holiday Magic’ is the constantly entertaining winter show that is hosted by the band, orchestra, choir, and theatre classes every year.

This year, the classic story of “A Christmas Carol” was portrayed by the theatre students. It was done in a different way with the act of the story accompanied by music performed by a small selection of band students, the choir, and a select part of the orchestra.

Choreography was also performed by the actors in each scene. With the music and dancing adding to the show, some said was a pretty enjoyable experience.

The winter show was held on both Dec. 10-11 for $10 a ticket. The proceeds were distributed to each group that was involved in the riveting performance.

Preparing for the show was on varying levels of difficulty and stress for many students involved because a lot of them had very little time to prepare for the show.

Hanna Alemu, sophomore orchestra student, was working hard to learn the songs for the performance, and only “had about two or three weeks to prepare.”

“It was kind of hard,” said Alemu. “The high notes were pretty difficult, but all in all it wasn’t that bad.”

Ebenezer Scrooge, played by Kevin Velasco, senior, showed a full range of emotions that could make a person feel them themselves. It was an overall moving performance, reiterating a classic tale of kindness, charity, family, and self-discovery.

The show lasted around two hours, and every minute was full of songs meant to spark sincere emotions,which was accomplished.

Perrin Besch, junior, saw the show and said that it “was well put together,” and they “displayed the character of Ebenezer Scrooge in a way even Charles Dickens would be proud of.”