Democrat candidate making himself known

Alyssa Hoedl, Co-Editor

From the moment the 2016 election was in sight, the name Democrats have been hearing non-stop is Hilary Clinton. However, she is not the only contender in the Democratic race anymore.

Bernie Sanders, Vermont senator, was virtually unknown to the American people until just a few months ago. This is who the young adults of America should be watching and voting for.

Sanders is relying on college students and people under 30 years old to help him snag the Democratic Party nomination and maybe even the presidency.

A major issue is that Sanders is a strong advocate for free tuition at public colleges and universities. This is one of the big issues that have caused many young people to come to him instead of other candidates or to just ignore politics altogether. Students don’t want to come out of college having thousands of dollars in debt.

Some politicians say that Sanders’ plan is unrealistic and won’t ever happen. Even if it is unrealistic, at least he is trying to show college students that he cares about getting them through college with no debt after they graduate.

For those young adults just getting out of school, Sanders is also the best candidate. With his plans to raise the federal minimum wage from $7 to $15 and guarantee paid family leave, more Millennials are hopeful for the future.

One fact about Sanders that has made him seem like a better candidate than Clinton is the consistency of his beliefs. Many young adults don’t trust politicians, and when the politicians’ beliefs keep changing, it makes the young adults even more untrusting. He joined the Young People’s Socialist League while in college and has kept those same beliefs throughout his political career.

Sanders was also against the Defense of Marriage Act back when it was made and has been an advocate for same-sex marriage since.

Unlike all of the other candidates, Sanders is not relying on super political action committees (PACs) to help him by spending their money to further his campaign. All of his donations and help are coming from individuals.

The Sanders’ campaign has already enlisted around 36,000 college students as volunteers, and the number keeps rising. Over 200 colleges around the country have started student-led campaign groups for Sanders.

Compared to all of the other candidates for the 2016 election, Sanders is the one that will be best for young adults. As many of the people who support Bernie Sanders say, we should all #FeelTheBern.