‘Grease’ differs from movie adaptation

Natalie Roberts, Reporter

Audience members of “Grease,” which will be performed Jan. 28-30, should expect to see a show that differs from the movie.

According to Jeremy Riggs, drama teacher and director of the show, the musical “revolves around teenage independence and its consequences”; whereas, the movie version does not include many of these issues and could be described as a “fun” or “bubblegum” version of the musical.

The leads of Sandy and Danny will be played by Andrea Strickler, senior, and Chase Simmons, sophomore. Other major roles include Kylee Wallentine, sophomore, as Rizzo; Caleb Nugent, senior, as Kennickie; and Annabeth Swanson, senior, as Frenchy.

The cast will include 52 people, with 37 chorus members.

“With such a large cast, there will be a lot of stuff going on at once, especially since some songs require the whole cast,” Riggs said.

In addition, 26 crew members will make up the set, sound, costume, and house crews.

Leadership positions were available to students who were willing to take on the extra work. Alyxx Zinn, junior, is the assistant director, and Logan Stelting, senior; Sarah Traylor, senior; and Isaiah Reasby, junior, are the assistant vocal director, stage manager and assistant stage manager, respectively.

“My responsibilities [as stage manager] are to make sure that everyone is where they need to be and doing what they need to do,” Traylor said.

The cast and crew will have to adapt to having a band on stage, and platforms will be built to help compensate for the size of the cast.

Many people have been wondering whether the theater department will be using a real car in the production.

“We will probably have a real car, but it will be a challenge to find, since an old ‘50s car gets more and more difficult to find as time goes on,” Riggs said.

There are also concerns about how the car will work with the set.

“We would like to have a real car onstage, but [we] have to find a way to make that work with the set,” Traylor said.