Teens help with suicide prevention

Students+involved+in+BRAVE+perform+a+suicide+prevention+skit+for+the+freshmen.+

Travis Kahn

Students involved in BRAVE perform a suicide prevention skit for the freshmen.

Emily Cords, Reporter

“Suicide is not a solution,” Rachel Li, senior, and Olivia Bachtold, junior, both agreed. They both participated in the “I Choose to Live Assembly” on Oct. 29 in the auditorium during seminar.

Li and Bachtold are part of a group called BRAVE (Bystanders Rising Against Violence Everywhere) that put on this skit.

They chose to create this program because of the two suicides that happened at Olathe Northwest High School; they wanted to show people that suicide is not a solution.

Last year was the first year that they did this assembly, and after it, students signed a banner saying that they will choose to live.

After the students watched this skit, they want them to “choose to live” over taking their own lives because of a temporary problem.

After their first performance last year, BRAVE made some changes to the script to make the stories more realistic to the audience.

The main idea throughout the entire program is that “suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.”

This assembly shows students that suicide affects their entire community and that they can never take it back. BRAVE’s goal is to “broadcast this message” with other schools.

This club also does a leadership convention and hands out bookmarks and flashlights with messages about suicide. They made the pledge banner that students signed after the assembly.