StuCo class president plans for success

Emily Cords, Reporter

“Putting others first by helping them” is what Rachel Li, senior and National Merit semifinalist, described as her passion.

And that passion is evident in the activities Li has pursued, such as Student Council and service projects in the community and volunteering at soup kitchens or elementary schools.

She was part of BRAVE (Bystanders Rising Against Violence Everywhere), the organization that came together to address teen suicide with presentations such as last year’s assembly “I Choose to Live.”

Li said that BRAVE plans to spread its message to more schools, including most of the Olathe middle schools.

Her passion to help others is also a part of her commitment to Student Council of which she is president this year.

Under her direction, StuCo is currently working on TOTSOCE (Trick or Treat So Others Can Eat) to start the annual school-wide food drive. All of the donations will go to Feed Olathe, according to Li.

“I enjoy the satisfaction that comes with knowing that you have helped someone else, that you made their day just a little better,” she said.

Li’s desire to make a difference in the world has played a role in what she has considered for a career. Medicine seemed to be a natural fit because of her desire to help and because she wants to interact with others, but after several life science classes, Li realized a medical career wasn’t for her.

Now, she is interested in business or economics because she likes math and she thinks that she can also use those fields as ways to help her community. She is looking forward to starting that path at college next year—hopefully in a “big city”—because of the “opportunity to turn the page over,” to get a fresh start.

Li noted that her mom and Helen Hardgree, QUEST teacher, have been influential and “inspirational” in her choices.

And, it seems she has a second passion. “I really like glazed donuts. Will you put that into the article?” she said.