Spirit Week & Homecoming bring the fun

Homecoming king and queen, Zach Fields and Alyson Stewart, seniors, were crowned at the Homecoming game.

Christian Cortes, Reporter

Another Spirit Week ended Saturday, Sept. 19, at the annual Homecoming dance.

The week started with Blue and Gold Day when students showed their school pride by wearing the school colors.

A Homecoming kick-off assembly the same day hyped up the students for week, students nominated for the homecoming court modeled clothes for the spirit days.

They were Zack Fields and Alyson Stewart, seniors, Patrick Grey and Lally Pribyl, juniors, Bennett Shipley and Meghan Siebenburgen, sophomores, Brett Kennett and Caroline Harshbarger, freshmen.

“Being nominated was something I did not expect,” Grey said. “But I supposed it turned out to be a positive thing.”

On Tuesday students wore jeans and jackets for Double Denim Day. Wednesday was a Holiday Day when students could wear any holiday-related clothing, though most students wore Christmas costumes.

The same day junior and senior girls competed against each other in the Powderpuff Game, ending with a score 24-0 with the seniors winning.

Later that day there was a bonfire with free food and a DJ in the school’s parking lot, where students engaged in recreational activities.

On Thursday, for Kansas City Day, students wore blue Royals and red Chiefs t-shirts to show their support for their favorite team.

At the royalty assembly the same day, Homecoming royalty candidates were presented, and students voted for their Homecoming king and queen.

The candidates were Mackenzie Baker, Mathew Baldeh, Carley Eschliman, Fields, Mackenzie Patrick, Bryce Moore, Taylor Schoep, Kristjan Morris, Stewart, and Jared Reinke, seniors.

Fields and Stewart, seniors, were crowned Homecoming King and Queen.

On Friday, students got to wear ‘80s outfits for ‘80s day.

Later that day, the football team played Olathe North, ending with a score of 14-40 with Olathe North as the winner.

Students and alumni were invited to the dance with the theme Falcon Flashback. Other than dancing, the students could hang out in the commons and enjoy free candy while watching movies like “Back to the Future.”

“It was a crazy week filled with fun activities,” Pribyl said.