School welcomes 16 new staff: Part 1

Jerica Ayers

by Lauri Hoedl

Jerica Ayers, the newest addition to the science department, was a long term substitute for AP Chemistry last year and is now teaching physical science for sophomores.

She is very excited to have her own class this year.

Ayers has a degree in math from the University of Kansas and a degree in chemistry from the University of Missouri.

For five years, Ayers worked as a chemist at Johnson County Community College. She quit working in a laboratory at JCCC because she “hated being alone.”

After JCCC, she decided to begin as a substitute.

Because of Ayers’ love of helping and being around people, she decided that teaching would be a good profession for her to pursue.

Besides teaching, she has worked many miscellaneous jobs. She has been a tutor, an amusement park worker, a chemist and a worker at Wal-Mart.

Nature is one of Ayers’ favorite things. She loves to go hiking in the mountains with her husband.

They also play board games, but not average ones like Monopoly. They play “nerdy board games.”

Being an aunt is another activity Ayers enjoys. She has 16 nieces and nephews. In her free time, she likes to see them and play games, such as house.

Three words Ayers uses to describe herself are loud, positive and encouraging; she always cheers people on and supports them.

Since Ayers has been teaching, she has realized many things about herself. She has learned that teachers don’t get enough sleep.

She believes that “there is never enough time in a day to do everything you want.”

Though she believes she is a perfectionist, she has learned that it’s not possible to get it all right.

Nikki Hoffman

by Emma Nicholson

Nikki Hoffman, new AP and General Biology teacher, has been teaching 13 years with experience in other areas in science as well, prior to joining the Falcon staff.

“I loved science, and I wanted to help other people love science,” Hoffman stated.

Specifically, Hoffman took an interest in anatomy and physiology and loved dissection. Her involvement in dissection has gone to where she has dissected a human body before.

After attending Kansas State University, Hoffman taught at McPherson High School, Shawnee Mission East and Pioneer Trail.

Coworkers are what will be missed the most from her previous schools she stated.

Before becoming a teacher, Hoffman was an athletic trainer for all sports, coached basketball, and was a camp counselor in New York for three years.

In college, Hoffman was an athletic trainer for KSU football.

“I like new challenges,” she explained.

Outside of school, Hoffman loves to run, sleep and play with her children.

She and her family like to play games in her spare time, ranging from board games to football and basketball.

“We like to be active,” she said.

When describing herself, Hoffman used the word “family-oriented” because “family is extremely important to me.” She also could not find an accurate word to describe herself as helpful, so she stated, “I’ll do anything to help.”

Hoffman said she is goofy because “life is too short to be serious.”

“I’ll never grow up,” Hoffman explained. Her experience in the teaching field has taught her this along with the fact that she doesn’t take herself too seriously.

Misia Hollenbeck

by Natalie Roberts

Misia Hollenbeck, special education teacher, believes anyone can learn. Through her years of teaching, she has turned this belief into fact by helping many students work towards being their best.

Although Hollenbeck is considered to be a new teacher, she actually returned to South last November from her retirement to help with special education.

Hollenbeck was originally a news reporter, but considered teaching in 1981 after hearing about a $13,000 offer in Olathe to teach at Oregon Trail.

“I’ll admit that I started teaching for the money. However, on my first day student teaching I fell in love with it and the students I was working with,” she said.

Hollenbeck taught at Oregon Trail, Indian Trail, Olathe South and Olathe Northwest before she retired in 2009.

She attended Emporia State University for her bachelor’s and Avila for her master’s degree. Hollenbeck attended high school in Eureka, Kan.

Before she began teaching, Hollenbeck found jobs as a clerk typist, a waitress and an insurance secretary. She also worked as a dental assistant in Reno, Nev., for a short time.

During her free time, Hollenbeck enjoys playing with her three grandkids: Parker, Taylor and Nathaniel.

Hollenbeck also enjoys gardening and reading. Her favorite genres to read are biographies, mysteries, thrillers and historical fiction.

“I usually read about four or five books a week,” Hollenbeck said.

A topic that Hollenbeck said she frequently reads about is the Russian Revolution.

If Hollenbeck could choose three words to describe herself, she would say patience, humor and kindness. She chose these words because she believes these are the most important traits for a person to have.

Beth Japsen-Dick

by Alyssa Hoedl

Combining a love of the Spanish language with a desire to help others makes for a very passionate Spanish teacher.

Beth Japsen-Dick, Spanish teacher, has had a love for Spanish ever since her first Spanish class in eighth grade year.

During college, she realized that she loved helping her fellow college students with their Spanish homework and decided she could combine her loves. After college, all of her jobs have involved the use of Spanish language skills.

Other jobs she’s had include a teaching position at Blue Valley Northwest, a project manager for a client from Puerto Rico, and a Spanish tutor. She got her current job by long-term subbing for Nancy Watson here last year and completely taking over for her this year.

“I really try daily to bring my love and passion for the Spanish language and Hispanic cultures into the classroom with the hopes that my students will share that same enthusiasm,” Japsen said.

Japsen graduated from the University of Iowa with Spanish and education degrees.

“I also got my English to Speakers of Other Languages endorsement from Mid-America Nazarene University,” Jaspsen said.

Spanish is not the only thing Japsen is passionate about though; her life is also all about her family. She usually spends most of her time with her husband and two children, and she “tries to sneak in friend time when I can.”

“We like trying different restaurants in the area, hiking, biking, walking our little Pug dog, and going to zoos,” Japsen said.