‘Crush’ needs to be seen to be believed

Ainsluy Wilbur, senior, is taken by aliens in the fall play.

Kali Ray, Reporter

Students will be missing something special if they don’t go to “Crush” Sept. 24-25 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium, according to David Hastings, director.

“The play is amazing: the way it’s written, the storylines between characters and the visuals,” Cole Taylor, senior, said.

Taylor, playing the lead, Bark, is very excited for the show.

“Crush” is a play about a boy with mental health issues, but he has to save his town from a problem only he can see.

“You’d have to see it to believe it,” Hastings said.

Hastings said there are many things the audience won’t expect and that students may even find out who their secret admirer is.

Stephen Gregg, the playwright, actually came to some rehearsals and coached the actors.

“He rewrote little pieces of the script that he thought were confusing while he was here. This was a really amazing opportunity,” Hastings said.

Gregg has been on the EdTA (Educational Theater Association) national board of direction and has written many high school plays.

“Last week [Gregg] contacted me and said he got my name from the EdTA and he wants the play to be performed at ITF (International Theater Festival)” David Hastings, theater teacher, said.

Gregg chose the school and Hastings specifically to get his play to the ITF.

“It’s a lot of pressure because the likelihood to be picked is very low because your show has to be the best in the state and/or country,” Hastings said.

In the past six years, OS has had two plays performed at the state ITF.

Hastings added the whole process could be explained with a quotation from the show itself: “I know it’s a long shot, but I’ve got to at least try ya know?”

“That’s how we feel about trying to get to state or nationals. Whether we get to nationals or not is a long shot,” Hastings said.