497 seniors have last day in high school

Students in the Senior Class spraying silly string following their graduation.

Alex Marra, Reporter

On Sunday, May 17, 497 seniors received their diplomas at the commencement ceremony, marking the 34th graduation ceremony at the school.

Taylor Burkdoll, Christopher Chavez, Zizhao Chen, Renee Devault, Conor Duffy, Claire Freeman, Isiah Hastings, Zachary Heidrick, Benjamin Hix and Brett Hollenbeck finished top 10 in the Senior Class.

Following concert music played by the band, Ashley Reece, Student Council president, and Mollie Reeves, Senior Class president, made the welcome speech.

The Senior Eagle Scouts participated in the presentation of colors as the Senior Orchestra Ensemble directed by Greg Ferguson performed the national anthem.

The band played the pop anthem “Shake It Off” by singer Taylor Swift, and the choir performed “I Was Here.”

Following the Alma Mater directed by Dr. Cynthia Sheppard and accompanied by Michelle Reed, pianist, Phil Clark, principal, presented the class of 2015.

Dr. Marlin Berry, Olathe District superintendent, introduced the Board of Education members who awarded the diplomas to the seniors.

After all students received their diplomas and the turning of the tassels was completed by the Senior Advisory Committee, the band completed the night by playing the recessional.