Suicide assembly brings awareness

“I Choose to Live” was hosted last week, and it came with mixed reviews.

The assembly brought awareness that suicide is preventable and that people should be comfortable with talking about the issue.  They learned that it is okay to confide in the people around oneself for help.

The students who put on the assembly should be commended for putting on something so serious.

However, some members feel that skits are not the best way to approach such a topic; it was forced and slightly offensive to some who have gone through suicidal thoughts or know people who have.

While not everyone loved this particular assembly, most of the staff feels that the school should have something like this every other year.

Many feel that the skits were not completely effective; however, there were good points.  The staff suggests that students would better connect with those who put on the assembly that have gone through suicidal thoughts or depression if stories were actually shared instead of acted out.

If, as stated in the assembly, one in 10 students have thoughts of suicide, then it is felt that a few of those students could speak on the topic and how they got out of depression.

Reactions to the assembly may have been varied. However, it may have helped some students in the long run, so with that, the assembly was worth it.