Over 200 seniors recognized at Senior Awards Night

Reagan Devinney, Reporter

Approximately 200 seniors were recognized for a variety of achievements on Monday, April 13, in the evening.

The administrators, counselors, faculty and staff put on the event to award students for their accomplishments academically and scholarship-wise.

Local organization scholarships, individual scholarships and awards were given out.

The female and male athlete of the year awards went to Jordan Morton and Pearce Kinzer.

Callie Van Winkle was given the Board of Education Award. The get that award, the student must have shown qualities of initiative, industry, intelligence and integrity.

The Faculty Award was given to Ashley Reece. To get the Faculty Award, the faculty picks a student who they think has contributed above and beyond the ordinary in service to the school.

Ben Hix and Kylee Kopatich were awarded the KSHSAA Citizenship Award. To receive this, the students had to exhibit good sportsmanship and citizenship.

The Principal’s Leadership Award was given to both Ashley Reece and Mollie Reves.

Also, the top 10 percent of the Senior Class was honored based on their GPA’s.

Approximately 220 students received academic recognition for awards including the President’s Award for Academic Achievement, the President’s Award for Academic Excellence, and the Academic Letter. There are various criteria that students have to reach to be eligible to receive these awards.

The Senior Class voted earlier in the semester on their class flower, song and motto.

The class flower is the lotus, the song is “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” and the motto is “Around here, we don’t look backwards for very long… We keep moving forward. Opening up new doors, and doing new things because we’re curious… And curiosity keeps leading us done new paths,” as stated Walt Disney.