Bloody Mary and Ouija

Picture of Ouija board.

Mia Pham, Reporter

Many people have heard of some type of scary game as a kid. These games are ones such as bloody mary and the ouija board. Though the origin of bloody Mary is unknown, it became a popular story to tell at sleepovers. Both of these games are said to summon spirits who are able to communicate with you in some type of way.

Sophomore Daniella Johnson, who has played these games tells us their experience with them. They explained that when they played bloody Mary, paranormal things began to happen. “She started doing it [chanting]. In the mirror, the reflection was smiling. She was not smiling,” Johnson said. 

Johnson explained further that they did not think that was possible until it started happening again. “Didn’t even believe her, and so she did it again. Same thing happened… and we started freaking out,” Johnson said.

Not only did Johnson play bloody Mary but they also played Ouija, a game where you place your hands on a wooden piece with glass in the middle and let the spirit guide your hands to spell out what they’d like to say. Johnson describes their experience with the board as underwhelming at first, but scary when they tried for a second time. 

“All three of us were sitting down… and we started doing it, nothing was really happening,” Johnson said.

Their next experience was more eventful. 

“We did it again, and it started moving… it didn’t really say anything because once it started moving all of us lifted our hands off,” Johnson said. 

Johnson then explained that since they had thought their friends were lying, they tried to play it alone which is against the rules of the game. 

“I was saying they were faking it, especially since it’s in my house… so I did it by myself, which you’re not supposed to do, and it started moving,” Johnson said.  

Johnson also says that they believe the game is better played when you are a teen. 

“I feel like if it was now, it would be more fun… but now it could be fun, especially if I was with a friend,” Johnson said.