Girls team advances to state tourney, boys end season in Sub-State

Jake Ripkey, Reporter

The boys and girls basketball teams both wrapped up league play Feb. 24, and after sub-state March 2-4, the girls were headed to state.

The boys team finished with a record of 15-5 while the girls finished 16-4. Both teams had a positive record and also placed at tournaments this season. The girls team were fighting all season for the Sunflower League championship, but they lost the final game to Olathe East High School 34-39. The boys team also played Olathe East and lost 64-67.

As both teams head into the post season, head girls coach, Mike Allen’s goal is to “win sub state so we can go to state and then we hope we can win state.”

Boys head coach Dan Morrow’s plan was to “take it one game at a time, and we want to win the first round before we plan ahead.”

In the first round of sub-state, the boys team lost 51-54 to Gardner, which means their season is over.

The girls team won the final of the sub-state bracket against Gardner-Edgerton 35-31.

With this win, the girls team now has the third seed in the bracket and played the sixth seed Lawrence High School on March 9. Kaiti Butaud, Mikayla Gooch, and DejaNae Roebuck, seniors, lead the lines for the girls team.

With the emergence of freshman Dani Winslow, who is featured on the ESPNW watch list, the team is “ready to go, showing great leadership and feeling very motivated by being around each other,” Allen said.