Falcon Alliance helps by recruiting students

Sarah Buehler, Reporter

Falcon Alliance is a program that helps promote the school’s athletic programs and encourages students in middle school to try out for sports when they are in high school.

The program started this year, and their first meeting for Falcon Alliance was in September to organize and prepare for the program. Students were selected by coaches in each sport to go the feeder middle schools of Frontier Trail, Indian Trail and Chisholm Trail. They will recruit students in eighth grade to participate in sports in high school.

There are 25 different students from all sports that will help recruit in the Falcon Alliance.

Brandon Keeling, senior, who recruits for the bowling team, said, “We look for students who have showed interest in the sport and have good scores [in bowling].”

Students do not have to be seniors or captains to go and recruit at the feeder middle schools. The coaches pick them based on who they think would represent the school the best and who would be enthusiastic about the athletic programs here.

Bill Lowe, bowling head coach, said, “The falcon alliance is a great tool for the future. It has helped our bowling team get interest from seventh and eighth graders at the feeder middle schools.”

For bowling, Keeling, and Gabriella Turvey, junior, are two of the 25 students that go out to the middle schools.

Matthew Johnson, athletic director, said, “These students help me improve our athletic program here and they will leave their mark and have an impact on Olathe South.”

Falcon Alliance is currently working on making a promotional video to highlight the success of Falcon athletic programs over the years.