Scoreboard: sports reports in short

Michaela Gooch, sophomore, faces opponent head on while driving to the basket. The girls team competed at state.

Girls basketball

The girls basketball team finished its season at the state basketball tournament with a 52-43 loss to Washburn Rural on March 12 in Wichita.

In sub-state play, the team first faced Olathe North on March 10 and easily won 44-10. This is the fewest points allowed by the team this year.

The Lady Falcons then beat Blue Valley 56-32 in the sub-state championship game. They went into the state tournament with the three seed. They played the sixth seed Washburn Rural on March 12.

A number of players acquired post season accolades.

Kala Holder, junior, and Kacey Kennett, junior, received second team All-League honors. DejaNae Roebuck, sophomore, was named to the first team All-League along with Jordan Morton, senior. Morton was also selected to compete in the Missouri vs. Kansas All-Star game.

Kylee Kopatich, senior, received a McDonalds All-American nomination.

Boys basketball

The boys basketball team lost in sub-state competition to Blue Valley North 57-45 to end their season. They finished the season with a 9-11 record. They were 2-7 in conference play.

The teams .222 winning percentage in conference was good enough for the second to last spot in conference standing. Next year the team will have to replace senior starters Taylor Filbert and Jayden Davis as well as reserves Jordan Well and Cole Browning.

Wrestling

At the 6A state wrestling meet on Feb. 28 in Wichita, Nick Jouret, freshman, placed third at 152 pounds. The other four state qualifiers were Jace Koezler, freshman, Patrick Haase, senior, Tyler Jouret, senior, and Pierce Kinzer, senior.

They were able to follow up on their successful league wrestling meet in Leavenworth on Feb. 20 and the regional meet on Feb. 22.

Boys swimming

The boys swim team wrapped up the season at the state meet in Topeka on Feb. 20-21.

Max Stoneking, sophomore, took fourth place in the 500 freestyle with a time of 4:54.60 and eighth place in the 200 individual medley with a time of 2:02.46.

Luke Wardle, junior, took 12th in the 100 breastroke with a time of 1:03.48.

The team took 14th overall.

Bowling

During regionals at College Lanes, the girls team got first place overall with 2368 pins.Morgan Sheehan, senior, bowled a 627 for a fifth place individual finish to lead the team in points. Gabby Russell, freshman, finished sixth with a 601 and Daley McLaughlin, freshman, finished seventh with a 595.

The boys team was pins away from qualifying to state. They were short just 16 pins.

Tory Clayton, senior, led the boys scores with a sixth place finish by bowling a 661. Kaelan Harmon, senior, finished behind him in seventh place, bowling a 656.