Olathe South Baseball

The Falcons look to win Regionals to punch their ticket to the State Tournament and attempt to win a third school championship

Mark Elliott, Managing Editor

With regionals this week, the regular season of high school baseball has come to a close. All teams are now looking to make a run for State. The Olathe South Falcons Varsity finished the season with a 13-7 record. Took third place in the Sunflower League, behind Olathe West and Gardner Edgerton. The Falcons started off their season with the Rob Jones tournament, as they went on to steam roll Wyandotte by a score of 13-0. Pitcher Brady Beverman threw a no hitter against them. In the championship, Falcons went against rival Olathe East, and they won the Rob Jones tournament by a score of 10-1. The Falcons were electric in their first two games, with a combined score of 23-1. 

It has also been an interesting year for Olathe South as Brady Beverman is the only multi year varsity starter on the team. Because of COVID cancelling last season, a lot of this year’s seniors haven’t gotten to play varsity. Since students weren’t really allowed at the basketball or football games, there have been pretty big student sections at the games. It has made this year more fun and energetic for the team. 

This South baseball team does have a tendency to play to their competition, when this team is on, there isn’t a team in Kansas they cannot beat. They played a very close game with Blue Valley High School, a team ranked number one in Kansas. The Falcons lost just 1-0, and that is their only home loss this season. If there had been more road games won this season, South could easily be first in the Sunflower League. 

Some big wins this team has picked up was beating Olathe West by a score of 10-3. At that time Olathe West was 7-0 and that was their first loss of the season. One very pivotal game was when the Falcons played Rockhurst at home, and they trailed 11-3 at one point. They came back and won the game 16-13. South also won 3 in a row to end the season, including wins over rival Olathe North, and a win on senior night

The Falcons head into their regional being the two seed, as they play Shawnee Mission West again. Blue Valley West is hosting the regional, and if South wins they play the winner of Blue Valley West and Shawnee Mission East. This team has found great success with great games of hitting at the plate, and great defense, with great pitching by Corbin Bassham and Brady Beverman. On the season Brady Beverman went 8-0 as a pitcher, an Olathe South record. If Olathe South continues to play really well, and keep the fire, this team can make a run at the State Title.