Passion for cooking

Student studies culinary to prepare for career

Melinda Hrdy, second to the left, is seen receiving her award with her team during nationals. Hrdy competed against culinary students from 43 states and territories in management and culinary competitions.

Kayla Staley, Reporter

Melinda Hrdy, senior, became interested in pursuing a culinary career in seventh grade. Her grandpa was a member of the National Pork Board and her dad is a good cook, so a person could say it runs in the family.

Hrdy’s favorite dish to cook is anything that involves seafood.

“It’s so delicate and such an accomplishment when it’s done right,” she said.

Hrdy is currently enrolled in the Culinary Arts program at Olathe North High School.

The school even has a restaurant that is open to the public, but reservations are required due to the popularity.

All of the dinners for the 2014-15 school year are currently sold out, but reservations will put guests on the waiting list for next year. Reservations start at 6 p.m. and continue every 15 minutes until 7:30 p.m.

The $30 dinner includes appetizers, an entree, a dessert, and a beverage for each person. The last dinner at the end of the year on March 27 will be approximately eight courses for $45 a person.

Through the program, she has learned many new techniques and basic baking science such as how baking soda and yeast work and how to use ratios.

She has even recognized some techniques in various cooking shows.

“I know how it works, and I can pick out what people are doing. It’s a whole new world,” she said.

Nonetheless, all of her knowledge comes from countless hours of practice and studying.

She is at North from 7:30-10:30 a.m. She then returns after school from 3-7:30 p.m. Sometimes, she is there as late as 8 p.m.

Her team calculated that they spent around 700 hours outside of school from January to May practicing and preparing for the state and national competition.

Hrdy’s team’s hard work has paid off in many culinary competitions.

They placed first in the State Pro-Start Culinary Competition and second in the National Competition.

All that work may seem unappealing to many, but Hrdy loves it.

“It’s never the same. It’s not a desk type job; there are new things, foods and concepts. It changes and it’s never boring,” she said.

Hrdy found that she didn’t realize that culinary was her passion until she got involved with the program.

“I was more determined than I thought. Nothing is difficult if you’re dedicated,” she said.

That type of dedication is important in pursuing the type of career Hrdy is preparing for.

“I would like to be either an executive chef or a personal chef,” she said.

She also thinks it would be cool to travel or get the opportunity to be a chef on a cruise liner.

However, success does come with many challenges.

When it comes to making mistakes, Hrdy believes it’s tough because a person can begin to “question [her] ability to do [her] passion.”

No matter how many challenges come her way, Hrdy is willing to stick with it and continue to do what she loves.