FAFSA helps students

Hannah Holliday, Feature Editor

Every college-bound senior is highly encouraged to submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The deadline for applying for FAFSA at most schools is April 1, but it is imperative to check the individual due dates for the school being applied to.

According to Traci Johnston, counselor, “Filling out the FAFSA, [gives students] an opportunity for lots of scholarships.”

A student’s FAFSA determines some of the scholarships available to students, the amount of grant money given and the amount of money that can be taken out of the bank as subsidized loans (do not earn interest while the borrower is in school) and unsubsidized loans (do earn interest while the borrower is in school).

Colleges determine the amount of money students can receive and the types of loans available by the family income received in the year prior to applying for a FAFSA.

When applying for a FAFSA, it is important to have the family’s tax information from the year prior to applying, a FAFSA ID, an email that is not an Olathe schools email, a social security card, and two forms of identification (such as a driver’s license or school ID). FAFSA IDs must be created at fsaid.ed.gov before applying.

A FAFSA information night will be held at Johnson County Community College on Nov. 8 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. More information can also be found at studentaid.ed.gov or on the counseling website.