Thespians stand out at state theater festival

Paige Crocker

Several theater students attended the recent state theater festival.

Alyssa Hoedl, Reporter

Immediately after getting back from winter break, 16 thespians took a trip to Wichita for the Kansas Thespian Festival.

The Kansas Thespian Festival, held every year usually at the beginning of January, consists of over 1,000 students getting together to participate in workshops, see selected shows and audition for colleges or nationals.

Seeing other high schools perform was many students’ favorite part of the festival.

David Hastings, theatre teacher, is the co-chapter director of Kansas Thespians.

Madeline Ahearn and Hewleek McKoy, seniors, both had an “amazing” time attending the festival. Neither of them had ever gone before.

“Taking all of the different workshops and getting to meet people who love the same things I do was my favorite part of the weekend,” Ahearn said. She also recommends everyone who wants to learn more about performing and to celebrate theatre to go at least once in their high school career.

Also, the festival was an opportunity for select high school students to audition for the All-State musical. The All-State musical is comprised of students from across Kansas.

Andrea Strickler and Veronica Wood, juniors, both auditioned and made the show, which is “James and the Giant Peach.” This brand new musical  will have its world premiere when the students perform it next year.

Several students were recognized for their talents at the festival. Taylor Schober, senior, Veronica Wood and Deanna Bowles, juniors, all received superior ratings on their individual events.  Earning a superior rating qualifies them to go to the National Thespian Conference next summer and compete.

McKoy went to the festival to audition for colleges and have a great time. Out of the 80 people auditioning for colleges, McKoy was one of four people who won the best scholarships.

“Going to the festival really paid off,” McKoy said. “Not only was it super fun, but I got an amazing scholarship.”