Golden Girls take home accolades

Sierra Muellner

Senior varsity members performed at the recent Miss Kansas Drill Team competition.

Kali Ray, Reporter

Nervousness filled the chests of at least a thousand girls. The gym is crowded, filled with at least 2,000 spectators. The teams look around at each other, sizing up their competition, wondering about the different routines they would see that day.

The Miss Kansas Drill Team competition (MKDTC) was held here at Jan. 16-17.

The girls got a Presentation and Precision award for their military/open routine, and the freshmen got one for their precision jazz routine. The team got a choreography award for their lyrical routine, and the freshmen got one for their novelty routine. They also got a tech award for their contemporary jazz routine while the freshmen got one for their lyrical routine.

For scoring 270 or above, varsity soloist winners included Emily Hemphill, Claire Freeman and Kori Butler. Junior varsity or freshmen soloist winners had to score 265 or above, and Megan Secrest accomplished this.

Four duet teams won awards for their dances. The drill team got an ensemble award, and the varsity and freshman teams got officer awards. Both teams also got a Sweepstakes award. The teams also got a Shining Star award.

The team got Best in Contest for the large division by scoring 275 or above. The freshman team also got this by scoring 265 or above.

With 48 teams and hundreds of drill team members, this is the biggest competition the drill team competes in.

Gail Holder, coach, said before the competition that she thought they would do really well and that they did five routines, which is more than they’ve ever done. “The officers wanted to do more this year,” she said.

Their different routines included a jazz routine, a lyrical routine, a hip-hop routine to Pit Bulls “Shake,” a military routine and a production routine with a jungle theme.

The girls also had fifteen solos. These were performed Friday in the auditorium.

They also had three duets on Friday in the North gym.

“[The girls] create their own routine[s],” Holder added.

This event does not have set requirements; the teams get to pick their own routines and how many of them they perform.

The girls began to learn  their routines in May.

“The ultimate goal is for the dancers and that they have to prepare for something,” Holder said. “I get to see them prepare, preform, and reap the benefits. That’s a life skill.”

Holder had prepared all year, even through the summer for this event. She not only coaches; she also has judged before.

“We have judges that are here from across the state,” Holder added. Eight judges worked the event.