Students discuss different styles of music

Khadija Ceesay, Reporter

From hip-hop and rap to EDM and alternative, music brings all kinds of people together to share the joy of lyrics and song.

Students were asked what kinds of music they would recommend and no two answers were quite the same.

Jonathan Swanson, junior, said he listens to alternative rock, jazz, rap and hip-hop.

He finds his music through the Apple Music app, just like many other students.

He finds new music through social media or recommendations from friends.

If he had to recommend an album, he said it would be “American Boyfriend: A Suburban Love Story” by Kevin Abstract.

“It details the journey Kevin took as a teen as he was realizing his sexuality. I think everyone should listen to “Echo” from this album, it’s a very powerful song.”  Swanson said.

Some students listen to their music through the app Pandora like freshman Gabby Patterson.

She enjoys music from artists like Panic! At the Disco, Fall Out Boy, Imagine Dragons and Twenty One Pilots.

A song she would recommend is “Thunder” by Imagine Dragons.

Andrew Lenier, junior, suggests the song “God’s Plan” by Drake. He usually enjoys country music from artists like Jason Aldean and Kenny Chesney.

Hayley Allison, junior, says she enjoys rock, alternative, and K-Pop music.

She finds her choices on Spotify and said “I usually count on my friends to introduce me to new music since we have similar interests.”

She suggests the album “Evolve” by the Imagine Dragons because it’s “very inspiring, pump-it-up, good work out album.”

There are some students that enjoy more unique types of music like alternative rock and “hardstyle”.

Some suggested music in the hardstyle category would be artists like Daft Punk, Headhunterz, Wild Stylez, and Noisecontrollers.

This type of music appeals to people who enjoy electronic dance with hints of techno and hardcore.

Alternative rock is another unique genre that includes artists like Nirvana, Sublime, and Gorillaz.

There are lots of different types of new and unique music out there, we just have to go out and discover it.