Scholarship Box

Jeremy Kaoga, Reporter

Scholarship: Syed Farrukh Shabbir, M.D. Memorial Scholarship

Deadline: April 30, 2018

Amount: $500 & $250

Criteria: The scholarship is awarded to college bound seniors who write a compelling essay about the importance of peace and understanding in a pluralist world. The winners will be announced in May and will be invited to attend the annual Crescent Peace Society dinner.

Scholarship: Oltjen Orthodontics Scholarship

Deadline: May 1, 2018

Amount: $1000

Criteria: The scholarship is awarded to college bound students, who are required to write a 500-word essay on “What a smile means.” A resume, a transcript and two letters of recommendation from teachers are also required.  The applicant must also be in the upper half of the graduating class, have good results on the ACT or SAT and be a good citizen.

Scholarship: Johnson County Old Settlers Association Scholarship

Deadline: April 10, 2018

Amount: $1000

Criteria: The scholarship is awarded to four Johnson County High School juniors or seniors with a $2000 scholarship being awarded to a veterans child from Johnson County High School. The student must write a 200-word essay on how he or she will “Make a Difference” after graduation from college. The student should have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and should also provide two letters of recommendation and a verified high school transcript.

Scholarship: 2018 Student-View Scholarship

Deadline: April 22, 2018

Amount: $4000

Criteria: This scholarship is open to all high school seniors with no requirement other than a 15-25 minute survey. The scholarship winners are selected from a random drawing. Two  other $1000 scholarships will be awarded to two seniors and another ten $500 scholarships will be awarded to ten seniors.