The Eyrie

‘Stranger Things’ season two proves better than the first

Back to Article
Back to Article

The cast of season 2 of

The cast of season 2 of "Stranger Things" was featured on the cover of Entertainment Weekly, proving their success.

Maddie Black, Reporter

Netflix released its highly anticipated sci-fi sequel, “Stranger Things 2,” on Friday, Oct. 27, giving the fans the perfect opportunity to binge watch the nine-episode season on a weekend.

The unimaginably high expectations set for season two were astonishingly met due to the new personas the characters took on and their amazing acting.

Beginning one year later in 1984, we get a deeper more personal look at the characters and how the Upside Down has affected them. Will, played by Noah Schnapp, gives a breakout performance as his character struggles with a debilitating PTSD caused by his time spent in the Upside Down in season one.

The main antagonist, the shadow demon, attempts to try to take over the town of Hawkins through mentally attacking Will. Will’s mother, Joyce, played by the talented Winona Ryder, proved her ability to handle big situations in season one. Now she’s takes on the part of trying to protect her son from the new dangers in season two.

Finn Wolfhard’s Mike does not have as big as a role as he did in season one, but still manages to give a great performance as Will’s best friend. Mike, however, is still dealing with the disappearance of Eleven, who is played by Millie Bobby Brown, in season one.

Brown’s performance in season one left everyone wanting to see more. We learn more about her character’s background while she lives with Jim Hopper, played by David Harbour, in an old cabin deep in the woods away from anyone that could cause a threat to her.

Gaten Matarazzo and Caleb McLaughlin’s characters, Dustin and Lucas, are humorous and charming while trying to impress the new girl, Max, played by Sadie Sink and to include her in their friend group. The season has a lot of funny ‘80s movie references like “Ghostbusters,” “E.T,” “Aliens,” etc, and the best is “The Goonies,” because Sean Astin, who plays Bob Newby in “Stranger Things,” played Mikey in “The Goonies.”

Steve Harrington, played by Joe Keery, takes on a new responsibility as a leader to Mike, Lucas, Dustin and Max and is by far the best character in season two. His humorous sarcasm leaves the fans wanting more of his character. Jonathan Byers and Nancy Wheeler, played by Charlie Heaton and Natalia Dyer, take a different path and try to expose Hawkins Lab for the cover up of the death of their friend, Barb.