Robotics Club getting ready for new competition season

Jeremy Kaoga, Reporter

The BioMech Falcons, the school’s robotics team, are getting ready for the new build season that is set to start Jan. 1. January also marks the international kickoff which involves 4,000 teams across the United States of America.

The international build season lasts for six weeks. In the six weeks, the teams build a robot as specified by the challenge that is different every year.

Last years challenge involved transporting mechanical cogs to a drop ship then climbing a rope for evacuation. The robot used for last year’s challenge was Ada, named after the first female aviator.

Other regional competitions occur through the season. The Heartland Regional Robotics Championship, for example, has a two-day competition in Omaha, Neb.

Jason Smith, sponsor, stated that they are currently working on fundraising for the new season and are pursuing a couple of grants.

The team currently has 30 members, and they are looking for more. Anyone interested in robotics can join with no background experience.

Apart from engineering skills, the club also welcomes students with a diverse range of skills: marketing, business, web design, graphic design and T-shirt design. Students should see Smith if they are interested in the club.

“It’s the hardest fun you will ever have,” Smith stated.