Sexton receives scholarship for volleyball at North Texas

Gabby Turvey

Lee Sexton before the pink out volleyball game

Megan Pham, Reporter

Lee Sexton, senior, has received a full ride volleyball scholarship of $80,000 to the University of North Texas (UNT).

Sexton has been playing volleyball since eighth grade and she is currently on the varsity volleyball team.

For college, she is already planning her departure.

“I’m going to be leaving on June 6, and I’ll be living in an apartment with my volleyball teammates. Then once school starts, I’ll live in the dorms for freshman year,” Sexton said.

Her extended family lives about an hour away from her university which is one of the major factors that made her choose UNT.

Other factors that influenced her decision include that she liked the coach, how the campus looked, and how the university was known for its good business and international business program.

She is also preparing for college by taking a lot of business classes in high school and getting as many credits as she can.

Sexton plans on majoring in marketing and minoring in business, with marketing as her future career. She also wants to study abroad in Japan during college.

“Once I’m done with volleyball in college I’m done,” Sexton said. “I want to move to England, then move to Japan to work in marketing.”

One of her fears of going to college in Texas is the friends and family she will have to leave behind.

“I’ll probably lose contact with friends,” Sexton said, “but at least my extended family lives 45 minutes away, so if I wanted to see them during the weekend I can see them.”