K.C. Automotive Museum displays evolution of cars

Christian Cortes, Entertainment Editor

Corvettes, Fords and a solar powered car. Trophies, engines and a trip through Kansas’ automotive past. If any of these spark your interest, you might want to give the Kansas City Automotive Museum a visit.

Located at 15095 W. 116th St. and open Tuesday through Sunday, the museum features 30 cars on display, with new cars rotating in and out throughout the month, and a small shopping area with small car models and car related books and apparel.

The museum takes visitors back to the past with exhibitions such as a recreation of the office of Homer B. Roberts, one of the first African-Americans to own a car manufacturing company, along with iconic cars from that era such as the 1912 Ford Model T (the first Ford car) and the 1927 Chevrolet Capitol AA Coupe.

Some of the more notable cars in the museum’s collection are a 1929 Packard, which is worth $300,000 and the Roswell Rod, a futuristic looking car made of orange fiberglass and other cars’ parts created by Fritz Schenck, hot rod and motorcycle builder.

Most of the museum’s cars are loaned by private owners, however, some of the items on display such as a solar powered car made and donated by engineer students from the University of Iowa, are owned by the museum.

Another notable feature is a collection of cars which showcases the evolution of Corvettes, from 1953’s first generation to the current seventh generation of models.

The museum offers workshops for Boy Scouts to learn how to change tires and other car activities.

Kansas’s Central Auto Racing Boosters (CARB) Hall of Fame is also located inside of the museum, showcasing a variety of racing track trophies and pictures. Inside the CARB Hall of Fame there is also a box full of small car parts that visitors can get their hands on.

Admissions are $9 for adults, $8 for military and seniors (over 65), $7 for students and admission is free for children under 5 and for Kansas City Auto Museum Members.

Every first and third day of the month, the museum hosts their Cars & Coffee event, a car show where anyone can bring his car and meet with other car owners. During this event, the museum offers free coffee and donuts, and admission is $4.

Car enthusiasts and anyone who wishes to learn about Kansas’s robust car history will enjoy the KC Automotive Museum.