The student news site of Olathe South High School

The Eyrie

• September 20Seniors Breaunna Dowdy, Nathan Erickson, Keaton Jones & Lacey Leatherland are National Merit Commended Scholars.

• September 1The Lady Falcon varsity & JV tennis teams brought home the win, 18-6, over SMW.

• September 1Helmi Vuorimaa, senior, took 1st place individually in the varsity girls cross country at the SMS quad on Aug. 30.

• September 1The guys cross country team placed 1st with a perfect score at the SMS quad at JCCC on Aug. 30.

Late night showdown

Jamie Pellikaan, Co-Editor

The hour is late, the sun down, and a plethora of comedic late night shows are available for fun. Maybe a favorite celebrity is on with Jimmy Fallon or you are craving the humorous take of politics Colbert offers.

The shows are as plentiful as fish in the sea, and students watch a variety of them on different platforms.

Late night shows have been an institution of American television ever since the advent of Jack Paar and Steve Allen in the late 1950s.

3 million people tune into “The Tonight Show” alone every evening according to Vox; however, these rating have been down from recent years.

The Eyrie recently conducted a survey to understand the late night viewing habits of students

There is a discrepancy between how many people watch full shows and how many people watch clips of the shows.

Many people cited “The Tonight Show” as the most popular show for viewers of both full episodes and clips, with “Jimmy Kimmel Live” as the second most popular choice for students.

One survey taker said, “Jimmy Fallon is my favorite because he is really funny and just gets the jokes.”

Fallon was given credit for “having the best celebrities” and “the best segments.”

However, many students are not avid watchers of late night shows and prefer to catch the highlights on YouTube and other social media platforms.

“I have only seen clips on YouTube of these shows because I don’t want to watch the whole thing,” a survey taker said.

It was with that idea in mind that many people answered the survey.

A total 72 people answered that they watch clips of various shows instead of watching the full episodes.

Some people said because of the time the shows run they do not watch them. As one survey taker remarked, “I like sleep.”

Another reason was that they only liked certain segments of shows.

“I’ll watch James Corden because I love it when he does Carpool Karaoke,” one respondent said.

While shows like “The Late Show” and “Last Week Tonight” ranked lower on the survey, students still appreciated the intelligent humor and take on politics the two shows propagate.

“John Oliver gives the facts about issues and he is hilarious,” one survey taker said.

However, despite the positive feedback on late night shows the survey displayed 38 percent of those surveyed do not watch any late night TV.

“I don’t really like any of these shows because they are not my sense of humor,” said one survey taker.

Others cited “SNL” as their favorite late night show due to its variety.