Planning for a federal career

Emmalee Reed

Hayley Nitz, senior, and her AP Government teacher, Dr. Collins.

Mara Gee, Reporter

Since the end of her sophomore year, Hayley Nitz, senior, knew that she would one day work for the federal government.

Her father has “always taught her to respect and support the government,” Nitz said.

Nitz chose the federal government over state or city government so that she could make even “more of an impact” on people’s lives, she said.

If she chooses a job having to do with forensics she would be “catching the bad guy” and if she decides to go into the research part of the government she would be doing things like “curing cancer,” Nitz said.

She’s not sure about exactly what she wants to, but is interested in working in counter-intelligence, terrorism, public corruption or cryptanalysis. Ideally she would like to work on Blind Spot’s Special Agent Patterson’s team of FBI Forensic Scientists, Nitz said.

Nitz had thought about going into the military, but her father, a former marine, advised against it. Had she decided to go into the military she would’ve worked as an officer in the Coast Guard, specifically disaster relief.

Having accumulated over 200 hours of various volunteer services including having gone to Africa to make toys at an orphanage for one week with girl scouts, Nitz has gained significant experience working with others and helping those in need. She has also recieved the golden presidential service award for her efforts two years in a row.

Nitz is “80 percent sure” she will go to Fort Hays State University and plans on “double majoring in biology and political science.”